Richmond (or RVA) may be small, but it's an exciting and historic city that spans the centuries.
The city is filled with American history, including Civil War battlegrounds, important African American sites, diverse architecture, and even St John's Church, home of Patrick Henry's infamous "give me liberty or give me death" speech.
Richmond is also home to world-class museums, including the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, the American Civil War Center, and the Edgar Allan Poe Museum, where you'll find many of the gothic master's original manuscripts.
But its rich history aside, Richmond is also a truly contemporary city, brimming with quirky bars, brilliant restaurants, artisanal breweries (of beer, cider, and coffee!), and marvelous vintage and local shopping.
This 3-day city guide blends practical travel tips with tidbits of local history, personalized walking tours, and insider suggestions, to help you make the most of your time in RVA.
Haunts, History and Hospitality
This itinerary will lead you step-by-step through the best Richmond has to offer, with each day centering on a different part of the city:
Day One: The Fan and Jackson Ward
From the leafy Fan district through world-famous Monument into the historic African American district, Jackson Ward.
Day Two: Downtown, Shockoe, and Church Hill
From cobblestoned downtown Richmond into the heart of the city's oldest (and newest!) district, Church Hill.
Day Three: The Museum District and Carytown
From artistic heavyweight, the VMFA, through the quaint streets of the Museum District to the charming village of Carytown.
What does this itinerary include?
- A three-day step-by-step tour of the city - all the planning is done for you
- Detailed maps, directions, and parking information to guide you easily from spot to spot
- Insider tips for saving time and money, including plenty of free activities
- Beautiful photographs of key city sights
- Anecdotes and details about what makes each site unique and why it is worth visiting
- Personalized dining, shopping, and sightseeing suggestions you won't find through a Google search
- Tips for day trips from Richmond, in case you have an extra day or two
- Contact and visitor information for all destinations
Questions? Comments? Ramblings about the wonders of RVA?
An Aussie expat currently residing in Richmond, I've made it my personal quest to learn all there is to know about this fabulous little city.
If you are unsure about any details for your trip or have extra questions, you can contact me directly; my email address is provided in the itinerary. Let me do the research for you and be your personal guide to Richmond!