Happy New Year! New year, new travel, new adventures. Each new year is exciting because it means time for making new travel plans to new places or revisiting favorites more in depth.
Of course, we are here to help you make all your travel dreams come true! So, we're back with our 5th edition of the top places to explore like a local list.
Our list each year is a little different than most because instead of curating our own opinion list of the best places to visit in 2020 (and we do have opinions!), we take a different approach and compile destination wisdom from several other lists posted online. (See whose wisdom we borrowed from at the bottom of this post.)
Here at Unanchor, we want to help you travel with the heart of a local. <3 Each of our itineraries have been created by a local living in the destination so you get insider knowledge that will save you time planning the logistics of what to do, see (& not see), when, and where. Gotta love the secrets only a local can share with you!
Get inspired by the unique beauty of each destination listed below and begin your own new explorations using the knowledge of the heart of a local.
If you're a travel writer or aspiring to be one, we have a few specific destinations at the end of the list we'd love to add to our family of itineraries.
Here are your 12 best places to travel to in 2020:
- Tokyo: 3-Day Highlights of Tokyo
- Narita: Tour Narita During an Airport Layover
- Nozawa Onsen: Nozawa Onsen's Winter Secrets - A 3-Day Tour
2. Central Asia Silk Road
- Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan: 4 Days in Bishkek On a Budget
- Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia: A First Timer's Weekend Guide to Ulaanbaatar
3. New Zealand
- Wellington: The Best of Wellington: 3-Day Itinerary
- Christchurch: Enjoy the Rebuild - Christchurch 2-Day Tour
4. Eastern Coastal Canada
- Lima: Little Known Lima 3-Day Tour
- Cusco (including Machu Picchu): Cusco and the Sacred Valley - a five-day itinerary for a first-time visitor
- Arequipa: Arequipa - A 2-Day Itinerary for First-Time Visitors
- Arequipa: A 1-Day Foodie's Dream Tour of Arequipa
- Walking Tour: Discover Rome's Layers: A 3-Day Walking Tour
- History Tour: A 3-Day Tour Around Ancient Rome
- Budget Tour: 3 Days of Roman Adventure: spending time and money efficiently in Rome
7. Washington, D.C.
- Amsterdam Made Easy: A 3-Day Guide
- Amsterdam 3-Day Alternative Tour: Not just the Red Light District
- Utrecht: Two-day tour of Utrecht: the smaller, less touristy Amsterdam!
- Berlin: A 3-Day Guide to Berlin, Germany
- Berlin: 2 Days In Berlin On A Budget
- Rhine River: A 5-Day Self-Guided Bike Tour Along the Rhine River
- Athens: Athens 3-Day Highlights Tour Itinerary
- Thessaloniki: Thessaloniki, Greece - 3-Day Highlights Itinerary
- Chania & Sfakia: Chania & Sfakia, Greece & Great Day Trips Nearby (5-Day Itinerary)
- Kassandra: Day Trip From Thessaloniki to Kassandra Peninsula, Halkidiki, Greece
12. The Big Island, Hawaii
- Big Island: Tackling 10 Must-Dos on the Big Island in 3 Days
Do you (or someone you know) live in any of these places and enjoy traveling with the heart of a local? These are hot destinations for 2020 that we would love to have you join our family of travel itinerary authors! Apply here.
- Dubai, UAE
- Costa Rica
If you want more travel inspiration, here are the lists of top travel destinations for 2020 we used to curate our list for you:
- Travel & Leisure: The 50 Best Places to Travel in 2020
- National Geographic: Here are the best trips to take in 2020
- New York Times: 52 Places To Go in 2020
- Lonely Planet: Best in Travel 2020
- U.S. News & World Report: The World's 30 Best Places to Visit in 2019-20
- Forbes: The Top 20 Destinations For 2020
- CNN: 20 best places to visit in 2020
- Frommer's: Best Places to Go in 2020
- Fodor's: Go List 2020